Friday, August 8, 2008

Cost Savings - Budget Busters

I know you want to save money, but there are those constant budget busters that steal your money and leave you constantly crying for cash.

Here are a few simple ideas to help you save money and leave behind budget busters.

Think about switching deodorants. Believe it or not, the less costly no-name brand deodorants are often just as effective as your name brand type.

I am a picky eater, but I also realize that there are some combinations of food that I will never taste the difference. If you give me a tomato sauce made with my favorite, more expensive tomato and then one with a less expensive mealy tomato, I will probably taste the difference.

However, if you are mixing yogurt in your favorite smoothies or butter that is on sale versus your less expensive brand into a cooked item, you most likely will never taste the difference.

The same goes for pasta and many other food items that you eat. If you aren't going to taste the difference, but only know the difference in your head, why not switch?

Buy stamps at Costco or Sam’s Club. Believe it or not, they can give you a better deal than the Post Office.

Why pay more for “printer” paper for school, when regular, inexpensive by comparision, white copy paper works just as well. For great bargains I suggest Realiable. Their phone number is: 800-735-4000.

One last easy tip. While it may seem very obvious because the high cost of gas has become prohibitive, it still behooves you for me to say it, ditch the high grade and get into low grade gas. Always consult with a mechanic who is not biased to your vehicles manufacturer before you do this, but I have always run my vehicles, even when they said “high octane only” gas on low grade gas. I have never had a problem and in fact, most mechanics who do my tune-ups think the car is brand new.

If you change your oil every three thousand to six thousand miles and get regular tune-ups, you will be okay. My mom agrees and she’s been driving my entire life!

There are many more strategies to use, but this will get you started!

1 comment:

Quiltingranny said...

I stumbled by your blog and love your frugal ideas. I would love to give you an award, it you will stop by my blog and pick it up. Any suggestions for saving money on car tires?
http://quiltingranny.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-have-new-blog-award.html